For the past 5 years, my sister and I have packed our trench coats, plaid shirts, and Samulets to spend 3-4 days with the cast and fans of Supernatural. And this year was no different. We packed our bags and hit the road to Las Vegas, Nevada. Vegas Con is the only Supernatural convention hosted by Creation Entertainment that is 4 days long.
Supernatural conventions are quite unique, well I think so anyway. It’s the only convention I have been to that I get to attend every celebrity panel and I don’t have to sleep outside, which I’ve never done BTW. I’m dedicated, but damn. Anyways….. The Rio Hotel & Casino Convention Center is where all the festivities take place. All the panels are in the same room. The photo-ops and the merch room are just a hop, skip, and a jump away. You can even pop out for an adult beverage, a little gambling, and some food, this is Vegas after all.
I love going to this convention. I always have a wonderful time with the SPN Family. They are a hoot. Despite the expense I do love going and I will mostly likely continue to go every year.
This year’s Vegas Con was another success. We certainly had some interesting things happen this year.
Here are some of the highlights from Thursday & Friday.
1. The Thursday People expressed their undying love for Dick.
— Margaret E. Wissiup (@PARANORMALWISH) March 11, 2016
And Dick shared his love for his Thursday People!
— Richard Speight, Jr. (@dicksp8jr) March 10, 2016
2. Rob Benedict was absent until late Saturday evening, which made me very sad because well, I love Rob Benedict. He’s the front man for the convention house band Louden Swain and he played Chuck Shurley in the show. BUT he had a rather good excuse for being gone, even if Karaoke Night wasn’t the same.
— Rob Benedict (@RobBenedict) March 11, 2016
3. Alaina Huffman (Abbadon) and Brock Kelly (Young Dean Winchester) were as fabulous as ever.
- Alaina spoke quite a bit about what it is like to have a career as an actor and have a family.
- She spoke about her experiences on Stargate & working while being pregnant and on Supernatural. Alaina is quite an inspiration. I’m really happy I got to hear her speak.
- Brock talked about playing Dean in After School Special.
- He said that he wishes he would have asked Jensen more questions about Dean before filming began. He also wishes he had watched more than a couple of episodes before walking on set.
- Brock said he would love to come back on the show, but he said he looks more like Dean from Season 1 now. I’m sure they could figure out someway to get him back on the show.
4. Matt Frewer (Pestilence) made his FIRST Supernatural Con appearance. I love being a witness to first con experiences because SPN Con’s are not the same as other cons. Also, Jason Manns (singer, song writer, & cool dude) did a Q & A/mini concert.
- Matt talked about the bucket of snot he got to deal with during his first appearance on the show, he said it was really gross, but he couldn’t help but stick his hands in the bucket. GROSS!
- I was super excited to see Matt on stage because he was in one of my favorite childhood movies, Honey! I Shrunk the Kids. He was the dad from next door.
- Matt has been in a lot of moves over the years, it was really wonderful to hear him talk about some of his favorite experiences & bond with the audience.
- Now, Jason Manns is an amazing and talented artist. He has a very calming and beautiful voice.
Check out our Instagram for more videos -> @templeofgeek
5. Friday was a very full day. Kim Rhodes (Sheriff Jody Mills) and Briana Buckmaster (Sheriff Donna Hanscum) had a panel together. Two amazing, badass, and beautiful women took the stage together. It was a damn fine 45 minute panel.
6. Next to take the stage was Colin Ford (Young Sam Winchester).
- Colin talked about how Supernatural was one of his very first acting jobs, he was a little kid then.
- The audience asked him quite a few questions about his experience on the show and about some of his other work.
- Just in case you didn’t know, Colin Ford is the voice of Jake from Disney’s Jake and the Neverland Pirates. This was news to Richard, whose children love that show. Colin was gracious enough to do the Jake voice for Richard and it was so precious to watch him fanboy all over the stage. Colin even offered to call and talk to his kids. Good man, good man.
- Also at one point Brock Kelly came up on stage and they did a re-enactment of the “Dad’s on a hunting trip and hasn’t been home in a few days” scene. It was adorable.
7. Next was Gil McKinney (Henry Winchester), followed by Osric Chau (Kevin Tran), and ending the day with Jim Beaver (Bobby Singer).
- Where do I even begin with Gil McKinney…… He sings and his singing it…it does something…. it makes my brain fuzzy.
- Gil and everyone else would love to see Henry Winchester return to the show. I would love to see the show explore more of his background. I smell a spin-off show.
- Now, Osric is fabulously amazing. He was amazing as Kevin Tran. I cried when his character was killed. Osric has kind of become the mascot of the fandom and we would love to see him come back. Also…. He was totally Captain America!
- Osric likes to cosplay during some of his panels and photo-ops. I did a photo-op with him a few years ago when he was Kevin Freakin’ Solo.
- I missed most of Osric’s panel though because I was getting my photo taken with Richard.
- And lastly Jim Beaver took the stage. I actually jumped in line so I could ask him a question. I asked him about staring in the web series, The New Adventures of Peter + Wendy. He said it was different. He is good friends with Paula Rhodes who plays Wendy Darling in the series. Jim was her papa in the series. He did say that it was quite amazing what people can create in such a small space and with little money. He was very impressed with the series.
8. Now it’s time to talk about Karaoke Night.
- The wonderful Matt Cohen was also missing from Karaoke Night, which means we didn’t get to see him in is Game of Tones outfit, but we did get to see Richard Speight, Jr. looking very regal. Seriously though, this photo is amazing.
— Stardust&Melancholy (@MelancholyPhoto) March 17, 2016
As an aside, everyone should check out Stardust & Melancholy’s website, her photos are STUNNING! -> Click here to do that, I’ll wait.
- Gil McKinney, of course, chose to sing a Michael Bublé song which woo’d everyone in the room. (The video cuts out toward the end, but he’s still your man).
- Osric rapped, of course! He is very talented
- Richard’s father-in-law sang a song…. which was fabulous btw.
- Jim Beaver was there for the entire night. He usually just pops in sings a Beatles song then leaves, but that night he stayed and played host.
- With Matt Cohen and Rob Benedict missing we needed someone to talk their place. Thankfully, Alaina Huffman, Kim Rhodes, & Briana Buckmaster were available & Jim Beaver! WOOT!
The finally song, of course, was Carry On My Wayward Son, the Supernatural anthem. Overall, it was another successful Karaoke Night with the Friday & Thursday Night People.
And last but not least, one of the most interesting and odd thing’s to happen the first 2 days of the convention:
- It is common knowledge that Rob and Richard mellow each other out. Rob kind of keeps Richard from going too far, according to Richard that is. But we were all Rob-less for several days, so you can only imagine what crazy stuff Richard came up with, but one particular thing sticks out amongst all the other crazy awesome things. And that would be the creation of the HIGH CHURCH OF THE HOLY DICK. I’m not even kidding. – Kudos to the person who made this.
— Angèle (@pineapples786) March 14, 2016
I’m not entirely sure how this happened or when exactly this happened, I just know that it did. Rob’s face was priceless Saturday night when Richard told him about it. I feel like this will become an “always” thing. I wonder if there will be shirts? Richard still mentions it too.
— Richard Speight, Jr. (@dicksp8jr) March 18, 2016
All in all, it was a very successful Thursday and Friday of the 2016 Salute to Supernatural Convention in Las Vegas, Nevada.
Stay Tuned for part 2, which includes more of Gil McKinney singing, the Cosplay Contest, Misha Collins, Jared & Jensen, and so much more.