Thanks to generous donations and grants, more than 400 Greater Los Angeles Girl Scouts in grades K-12 – including 100 girls from underserved communities – will take part in a special program. These girls will be meeting comic professionals and attending workshops where they can earn their Comic Artist, Drawing, Novelist, Senses, or career exploration-related Badges.
During these exclusive workshops, the girls will be mentored by talented creators and participate in hands-on activities and panel discussions.
“Girl Scouts is all about giving girls access to role models and hands-on experiences that empower them to discover and pursue their passions. This unique collaboration with the Long Beach Comic Con is a perfect example of that,” said Lise L. Luttgens, Girl Scouts of Greater Los Angeles Chief Executive Officer.
This exclusive event will take place during Long Beach Comic Con at the Long Beach Convention Center.
Saturday, Sept. 17: Exclusive Girl Scout Workshops
- 10:30 – 11:30am: So, You Want to Work in Anime? Panel discussion featuring Deborah Crane (Sailor Moon), Tara Sands (Pokémon), & more.
- 10:30am – 12pm: Kids Can Cosplay Workshop: Girls in grades K-3 make their own superhero outfits.
- 12 – 12:30pm: Senses Badge Introduction – Science-related scavenger hunt on the convention floor.
- 12:30 – 2:30pm: Drawing Badge Workshop – Led by Pierre Bernard, Jr. (Conan), girls draw still life and from live cosplay models.
- 2:30 – 4pm: Comic Artist Badge Workshop – Girls work in teams with industry professionals to create a comic book page – mentors include Cat Staggs (Wonder Woman ’77), Sandy King Carpenter (John Carpenter’s Asylum), & more.
- 4 – 5:30pm: Novelist Badge Workshop – Girls create a story plot with authors and get feedback from guests – Peter Allen David (The Incredible Hulk, Star Trek, Aquaman, Supergirl), Jenna Bryson (Grace From Outer Space), Samuel Sattin (LEGEND), Peter Tieryas (Watering Heaven, Bad New World, United States of Japan), & more.
Additional Activities with Girl Scouts:
- Women in STEM Panel – Hosted by JPL & Virgin Atlantic – 5:30 – 6:30pm
- Doctor Who Panels at the Long Beach Public Library – 11:30am – 4:30pm
- In 2014, women became the fastest growing demographic in comics. Girls and women still remain a minority in the professional comic book industry; however, the trend is shifting.
- Girl Scouts of Greater Los Angeles has a strong history of supporting girls to pursue their passions in underrepresented fields.
- The organization currently sponsors 40 FIRST Lego League robotics teams and hosts introductory rocketry programs. All thanks to individual donations and partnerships, Girl Scouts also hosts video game design workshops, app creation classes, and more.
This weekend will be full of exceptional guests and exhibitors, and engaging panels, at Long Beach Comic Con. Make sure to purchase your tickets today at www.longbeachcomiccon.com.
The convention begins Saturday, September 17 -> 10:00am -7:00pm (pre-purchase early entry at 9:30am) & ends Sunday, September 18 -> 10:00am – 5:00pm at the Long Beach Convention Center.
Be there or be square.