Geekery Update provides headlines about important, fascinating, and geeky happenings in the world. Stay in the know and impress your friends and coworkers with your vast knowledge!
The Big List
PlayStation released a schedule of all the games that are going to be released on the PS4, PS3, and PS Vita. Some dates are confirmed, some are tentative, and others have yet to be announced. However, it still gives us something to be excited about. What games are you looking forward to? (via Playstation)
Let’s Get Happy
Over at the University of Vermont, mathematicians studied 10 different languages and found that the top 10,000 most frequently used words correlate to positive meanings. Also, words that are considered more positive had a higher approval rating.
Return of the Jedi Toys
Hasbro created a ‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’ toy where you can create the lightsaber of your dreams. And yes, it does allow for you to make that cross-hilt. The ‘Main Jedi Lightsaber Set’ will be sold for $49.99, but you get what you pay for: mix-and-matchable lights and electronic sounds, a pair of lightdaggers, an expansion hilt and a variety of connectors. If you live in NYC, you can test drive the toy from Saturday to Tuesday at the New York City’s Toy Fair.
(via USA Today)
Friday the 13th
Are you one of many people around the world afraid of today? There’s a phobia for that. It’s called paraskevidekatriaphobia (dare you to say that five times fast). Where does this fear come from? Probably from the irrational nature of our past.
For the number 13…
- The 13th person to leave The Last Supper was Judas
- In Norse Mythology, it was bad luck to sit at a table of 13
- The Apollo 13 mission encountered some oxygen problems on their flight
As for Fridays….
- Sailors for a long time were afraid to sail on Fridays due to a (probably false) legend from the 1800’s about a missing ship called H.M.S. Friday that embarked on a Friday with a captain named James Friday
- In British tradition, Friday was the conventional day for public hangings, and there were supposedly 13 steps leading up to the noose.
There’s also the possibility that when we were told at a young age to fear something, it resonated with us forever. In the end, it’s probably in our heads…or is it? Maybe play it safe today, just in case.
Temple Rundown of the Week
Here’s a quick recap of some of our favorite stories we covered this week:
- Episode 9 of “ToGCast” aired and we talked about our favorite shows
- Stacy gave us Star Wars, science, and video game feels
- Sony and Marvel made a pretty swinging deal
- We’re really digging the Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare DLC
- Jodie wrote up a great editorial about some of Marvel and DC’s women on TV
Are you especially superstitious? Itching to buy a lightsaber for
yourself your kids? Got a game that your looking forward to? Search your feelings and leave us a comment!