Today is Tuesday, September 13, 2016, on this day 11 years ago Supernatural premiered on the WB/CW. Two brother’s from Lawrence, Kansas hit the road looking for their father who is on a hunting trip and hasn’t been home in a few days. The Winchester’s are involved in a family business that is unlike any other, they drive around the country in a 1967 Chevy Impala with trunk full of guns, rock salt, and fake IDs saving people and hunting things.
This show created a universe where the supernatural comes to life and being a hunter of supernatural beings is a heroic profession that drives under the radar. The Winchester’s have hunted demons, angels, werewolves, vampires, and cannibalistic humans. They have stopped the apocalypse, killed Death, met God, and been to hell & heaven and back again. They have saved hundreds of lives and yet no one knows they exist. The Winchester’s don’t do this job for the glory or money because there isn’t any. Dean and Sam Winchester do this job because no one else will and that is what make’s them Heroes.
Supernatural has come a very long way. We have watched Jared Padalecki (Sam Winchester) and Jensen Ackles (Dean Winchester) grow as actors and embrace the fact that this show might never end. As an 11 year fan of this show I’m okay with this show continuing on until Jared and Jensen are ready to say goodbye. I have been there every step of the way and I will continue to be a fan even when their story has ended.
241 episodes, 12 seasons, 4 day changes, 1 network change, and 2 show runners, Supernatural has survived a lot and the show continues to be more popular than ever. I’m sure as long as this popularity continues Supernatural will make it to their 300th episode and perhaps an ending. I never like talking about endings, but Sam and Dean’s story can only continue on for so long. Perhaps going out on top will be the best possible way to say goodbye, when the time comes.
But endings are not what we are here to talk about. We are here to CELEBRATE because today is Supernatural Day!!!!!
The cast wants us to share our favorite memories of the show, so that is exactly what I am here to do. October 13th will mark the beginning of the 12th season of Supernatural, which mean’s I have to share my favorite 12 episodes from the past 11 seasons.
Katie’s Top 12 Episodes
1. Baby | S11 Ep. 4 | Originally Aired: 10/28/2015 | Plot: The Winchesters decided to take a road trip to get out of the Bunker, but find themselves in a life-or-death struggle against a group of “were-pires” who are rising up to fight the darkness. This entire episode takes place from inside Baby, Dean’s 1967 Chevy Impala. The audience never leaves the car, which creates a very unique perspective to watch this episode from. It also feels kind of special, in that we get more moments shared between the brothers, moments we usually miss.
2. A Very Supernatural Christmas | S3 Ep. 8 | Originally Aired: 12/13/2007 | Plot: In this Christmas themed episode, Sam and Dean are on the trail of an “anti-claus” who kidnaps people through their chimneys. While on the hunt, Dean tries to convince Sam to celebrate what could be his last Christmas. The audience also get a few flashbacks scenes from Sam’s perspective.
3. The End | S5 Ep. 4 | Originally Aired: 10/01/2009 | Plot: Dean continues to refuse Sam’s help in the hunt to beat Lucifer and by doing so Dean wakes up 5 years in the future. A gift from our least favorite angel. He finds himself in a wasteland where Lucifer has begun his endgame starting with the release of the Croatoan virus that transforms humans into zombies. Dean will discover that the future is at risk if he continues to refuse Sam’s help in the fight against Lucifer.
4. The Monster at the End of the Book | S4 Ep. 18 | Originally Aired: 04/09/2009 | Plot: Sam and Dean come across a novel series called Supernatural that describes their lives as hunters in detail. The brother’s seek out the author, Chuck Shurley, who explains that he has visions of Sam and Dean, which he then translates into novel form. Nothing is ever what it seems, just so you know.
(Chuck is one of my favorite characters, btw.)
5. Hell House | S1 Ep. 17 | Originally Aired: 03/30/2006 | Plot: Sam and Dean head down to Texas to investigate the haunting of an abandoned farmhouse known as the “Hell House.” As it turns out the Winchester’s are not the only ones investigating this so-called “haunting.” During the investigation it becomes apparent the haunting isn’t what it seems. Also… Winchester Prank War & the first appearance of The Ghostfacers!
6. Don’t Call Me Shurley | S11 Ep. 20 | Originally Aired: 05/04/2016 | Plot: Sam and Dean travel to a Colorado town where a madness spreading fog is over taking the town. Meanwhile, Metatron is summoned to meeting with God. YES! We finally find out that we were right all along… Well since the season 5 finale anyway.
7. The French Mistake | S6 Ep. 15 | Originally Aired: 02/25/2011 | Plot: Raphael launches an attack forcing Balthazar to go on the defensive. As a diversion, he transports the Winchesters to a parallel world where Supernatural is just a TV show. The Winchesters must now pretend to be actors Jared and Jensen, while running into familiar faces who are not who they seem. Jared and Jensen playing Sam and Dean playing Jared and Jensen playing Sam and Dean. Confused yet?
8. The Girl with the Dungeons and Dragons Tattoo | S7 Ep. 20 | Originally Aired: 04/27/2012 | Plot: The Winchester’s finally get a lead on where Frank’s hard drive has disappeared to when it is hacked by someone working for Dick Roman. Hacker Charlie Bradbury has no idea how much her life is about to change. Meanwhile, Bobby is on the road becoming a vengeful spirit the closer the boys get to Dick. Charlie is by far one of the best female characters ever introduced on this show. Felicia Day is an amazing actress that deserves an extra special shout out.
9. Fan Fiction | S10 E10 | Originally Aired: 11/11/2014 | Plot: Sam and Dean are headed to an all-girls school to investigate the disappearance of a teacher. What…. Supernatural: The Musical?????
Happy 200th Episode Supernatural!
10. Sacrifice | S8 Ep. 23 | Originally Aired: 05/15/2013 | Plot: Crowley is trying to use his half of the tablet to make a move against heaven and only Sam, Dean, and Kevin can stop him. But are the Winchester’s willing to pay the ultimate price to shut the gates of Hell indefinitely? Meanwhile, Castiel has joined forces with Metatron in order to stop Naomi’s scheme, but nothing is what it seems. (This is probably one of the most emotional Sam related episodes ever. Sam never thought he was good enough and we really start to understand why he believes that.)
11. Do You Believe in Miracles? | S9 Ep. 23 | Originally Aired: 05/20/2014 | Plot: Dean falls further under the spell of the First Blade and begins to lose his sense of self. Meanwhile, Metatron makes his final move against humanity, with only Sam, Castiel, and Gadreel there to try to stop him. (This is probably one of the most emotional episodes for me. The last 10 minutes of the episode are heartbreaking and just unbelievable. Sitting through a character death is never easy, especially on this show. )
12. Heart | S2 Ep. 17 | Originally Aired: 03/22/2007 | Plot: A new monster is on the loose and brutally murdering people, so of course Sam and Dean are there to investigate. Jared Padalecki recently said this was one of the episodes that made him cry when he read the script. Sam truly opens his heart for the first time since Jess died and it gets broken. Sam has to make a very difficult decision in this episode, which is why it is so emotional.
As I went through this list I got a little teary eyed. It might be because the final 3 episodes of my list were super emotional episodes, sorry about that. But I think it is mostly because I have been super involved in a show for the past 11 years. In that time I have seen these characters I have come to love so much grow and survive everything.
I know this show cannot go on forever, but I am so grateful for the 11 seasons I have seen and new seasons to come. This fandom has truly grown into a family that the cast and crew can share with us. Thank You Supernatural for 11 years, 12 Seasons, 241 episodes, and all the feels that go with this show. HAPPY SUPERNATURAL DAY!